Where have I been for 8 months? Not doing my best cooking, that’s where. I remember my mum saying years ago that she lost the joy in cooking having to feed kids with increasingly fussy palettes. Didn’t understand then but crikey – it’s true. Kids and their eating habits can literally suck any joy out of cooking. Gone are the hours of pouring over recipe books and wandering round supermarkets for lovely ingredients and I have welcomed the internet shop, working with only 3 kinds of veg and watching the fresh chilli die in the back of the fridge vegetable drawer. My heart breaks every time I walk past my array of lovely cooking equipment and realise the most I do these days with a food processor is make bread crumbs – the critters love anything bread-crumbed (not veg though)!
Enough moaning! It’s not all bad. Recently, I have had a few kiddie meal breakthroughs. By that I mean at least 2/3 of them eat it and they each only reject 1 ingredient. By far LOD’s favourite meal at the moment is cauliflower mac ‘n cheese. I shamelessly stole this from a friend’s FB page (this friend has no kids, loves cooking and posts pictures I could lick!) but it worked!
Cauliflower Mac ‘n Cheese
300g Macaroni pasta (I used penne)
1/2 small cauliflower – florets chopped
1 x cup peas
150g chopped ham (cooked bacon or lardons will work equally well)
400ml cheese sauce*
mature cheddar – grated
Preheat oven to 180 degrees and ready a nice big casserole dish / baking tray
Cook the macaroni (pasta of choice) for 5 minutes. Add the cauliflower for a further five minutes. Add peas for a minute. Drain. Add chopped ham and cheese sauce and mix together. Put it all in a casserole dish / baking tray and grate cheese on top. Bake in a 180 degree oven till golden (20-30 minutes).
*Cheese sauce – you can buy ready made, make traditionally or do what I do which is heat up a load of creme fraiche, grate in some cheddar (mature) and season well. Stir over a low heat until the cheese has melted and hey presto!
LOD ate everything, EEROD picked out the peas, ACOD ae EEROD’s peas and refused the pasta. I ate too much.
In other news:
- I turned 40 over the summer. Not entirely sure where the last 20 odd years have gone. But, there you go….
- The house is coming along. We are now fully double glazed and the outside is currently being repainted but I still haven’t finished our bedroom curtains. Or started the lounge ones…..
- Work is great but really busy. Hopefully I will get some new staff soon.
- This year’s apple and chill jelly making has begun. I am not taking on the Christmas market this year but there will be a good stash of jars for friends and family. I must remember to drop one round at the Little Gloucester as after sampling their chilli jelly, I decided mine was better.
- We are now a nappy-free house! There’s no going back! I predict a fair amount of wee on the floor ahead.
- Medically this year has been challenging. Looking forward to a healthier end to 2017.
- Excitingly, COD and I will soon have been married for 10 years. Hopefully I am feeling all recovered and we can celebrate in style. I have opted not to drink alcohol until then as I am not entirely sure it mixes well with the current round of radiotherapy.